Saturday 19 September 2020

Adding Gel Pad to Motorcycle Seat

 The stock seat of my FJR1300 will tear your arse after about 1 hour of riding unless your butt is metallic iron or void of all feelings.

In order to improve the seat, it is recommended to install the gel pads. I bought the thickest available which is 2 cm ( actually 1.8cm ), a simple hand held stapler, industrial type staples and some simple tools. 

There are many Youtube video which teaches how to get the gel pad installed on the seat. I followed the general instructions. It was relatively simple to do for those mechanically inclined. Messy but it is rewarding.

The gel pad is supposed to be cut to shape as recommended but I chose to use the whole pad onto the seat. It is relatively the same size as the seat so cutting may not be necessary in my opinion.


Removed the seat cover and marked out the shape of the gel pad. I marked directly onto the sponge but made some mistakes so I mask the surface with masking tape and redo the position desired. 


It was recommended to use a cutter blade to remove the sponge material but I use my trusty dremel circular saw instead. Started from the center of the seat and work outwards. It is accurate to judge the depth required. 


I use a simple template to measure the required depth as I cut with the circular saw. It is a small plastic plate which I check the depth of the sponge removed. 


Halfway through the project. Constant measuring is required as we are cutting a curved surface. It is tricky but with a careful hand and detailed eye, we got the job done. 


The gel pad fitted nicely. It is important to put the pad with a close fit since the sponge would adapt slightly. Too big a cavity would mean there would be gaps and space. 


After the job, the gel pad fitted into the cavity. Some final sanding and filing is required to make the pad fit nicely. 
Almost there...remove the remaining tape and make final adjustment. 


Refitting the seat cover. Using the mechanical stapler is tough as the staples have a tough time penetrating the plastic base housing. Would have been easier if we had an electric or air operated stapler but as this is a one time job.....don't want to end up with tools that would eventually be a white elephant in the tool drawer. 

I am satisfied with the job done. Not perfect but nice as s DIY job done. 



No comments:

Post a Comment